Sunday 9 January 2011

Made in the USSR

DEMO - HolyGunner - Made in USSR (original mix) by HolyGunner
 
Treated myself over the break. The justification, a little celebration of 20-10 and in eager anticipation of what 2,011 holds.

The draw- MADE IN USSR

How could I resist.

I like to think it was once a spy's.

He was separated from his Zorki 4 while documenting the British palate. In recording the comings and going of foodstuffs in and out of port, it was hoped the USSR could infiltrate British opinion through dietary persuasion, making them more suggestible to the Eastern disposition and open up to communism (see De Bono's theory on the Middle East crisis and how to solve it. If you can't be bothered, in short, the answer is Marmite- seriously- and there is a rational explanation for why. That's your lot lazy boggers, go read the real thing for EXACTLY why).

Any way back to my spy. The camera snagged on a container as he was snatched back by the motherland. Restored in the arms of mother Russia, neither hero nor enemy, he was discarded. Thrown into obscurity, cast out to be forgotten he was sent to a gulag. The only way to survive the gulag's system and Siberia was to turn to the other side. At first he saw it as playing double agent. For all intent and purpose he was still the law and with his intel he would one day be recognised for his valor and duty. This day never came. He now leads every criminal family in Russia. He's recognised- once met, never forgotten- as another side of law.

That's just what I like to think, makes it a little more interesting.
This is a 'grin' tattoo. It's taken from one of my volumes of Russian Criminal Tattoos (check out FUEL publishers, got some good books). Seriously intriguing stuff. Some tattoos were forced on people, others elected to have them to show rank. This one says, 'Wherever I see you, I'll rape you on the spot and strangle you.'

Got it from a tat shop (as in crap not tattoo) in Penzance. Run by a load of Londoners, relocated to the south purely for the purposes of ripping innocents off. In short, the buying experience was not overly pleasant. But I think my hanging round for over half an hour to ensure workings worked (what I knew of them at least), and was not just buying an incredibly elaborate and limited biscuit barrel, may just justify them in their bristly sales technique. Forty squid later I am the owner of this and another little brownie camera and cases for both.


Zorki 4 rangefinder, with Jupiter 8 lens.

Turns out I didn't know enough. There's a take-up spool missing, not to mention my finger prints (let's just say the film speed setting and wind action is like nothing I've ever seen before). Complex. Makes sense now. But before a bit of research it didn't.

Consequently, much like my Brownie escapade, I did the thing you're not supposed to do and in the process scraped my fingers clean of any unique identification markings they may have had.

But with the assistance of zinc oxide tape from my first aid kit, it's loaded up and ready to shoot. May have to find some sufficiently covert subject matter to be capturing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment